Comic book movies are big business now. Each release is accompanied by a huge fanfare and an extensive marketing campaign. DC dominated last century with Batman and Superman films but this last decade has seen Marvel become the biggest hitters at the Box Office, creating blockbuster after blockbuster. However, not all superheroes wear capes and not all comic book characters are heroes. Swamp Thing, conceived by Len Wein and artist Bernie Wrightson, is one of the more offbeat creations. Wes Craven’s 1982 film brings action from the first volume of the series to the big screen.
Alice Cable (Adrienne Barbeau) is dispatched to the swamps of the Deep South after the death of a fellow scientist. She discovers a top-secret bio-engineering experiment headed by supervisor Harry Ritter (Don Knight) and lead scientist Dr. Alec Holland (Ray Wise). Holland is creating military weapons which Anton Arcane (Louis Jourdan), a paramilitary leader, wishes to get his hands on it. When the camp is attacked there’s an accident and the doctor throws himself in the swamp to douses the flames. He re-emerges somewhat changed.
Whilst Swamp Thing might look very different to a caped crusader or a man in a mask, this origin story will feel very familiar to many. Craven was looking to attract the attention of the big studios at the time and prove he could make a Hollywood action film. The result is a mishmash of several elements. It’s entertaining enough but never really stands out. Swamp Thing does contain enough explosions, action and adventure to keep you interested throughout.
- Limited Edition O-Card slipcase [First Print Run Only]
- Limited Edition Foldout A3 Poster [First Print Run Only]
- Limited Edition 16 page collectable photobook with rare photos, lobby cards and production stills from the vaults of MGM [First Print Run Only]
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations of the Uncut International Version
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
- Audio Commentary by Director Wes Craven, Moderated by Sean Clark
- Swamp Screen: Designing DC’s Main monster – An Interview with Production Designer Robb Wilson King
- From Krug to Comics: How the Mainstream Shaped a Radical Genre Voice – Interview with Critic Kim Newman
- Original Theatrical Trailer
Swamp Thing is released on Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD by 88 Films on 25 March.