It’s that time of year again when everyone turns to Cocoon and their famous mix series to see what the sounds of the summer will be. This time charged with laying out the enduring German label’s sonic mix for Ibiza 2014 is Mathias Kaden and label regular Popof. They do so across two fantastic mix CDs, which in turn help to celebrate the fact Cocoon Ibiza is now 15 years old, and both DJs are set to preform live at Amnesia a number of times this summer.
Whether it is opening, peak time or an after party, Mathias Kaden’s intuition for the crowd and location, proves each time again that he lives for his profession. His music is both distinctly ambitious and refreshing. Following the House music of the 90’s, he works thoroughly to create new sound structures. He uses different types of percussion elements effortlessly, the result being an enjoyable rhythm, which communicates with his audience creating an incredible repertoire of feelings within a crowd.
Popof is a French DJ/producer hailing from the rave party scene. He is a versatile artist who explores various genres of music. Today, he stresses his preference towards minimal techno and electro, his cutting edge tracks are made within the best traditions of techno mixed with just a touch of tech house. The talented producer was also featured together with Mathias Kaden on Cocoon’s Compilation “J” back in 2010.
Kaden starts the party on the first disc with the atmospheric number ‘Heat’ by Pablo Bolivar by the time we hit track 2 the party really gets going courtesy of a sleek minimal groove from Luciano’s ‘Dance Unity’. Kaden effortlessly shifts the gears throughout the mix before getting back to the deeper energetic vibe from the beginning of the mix. Some great tunes in here from Uner, Kenny Larkin remixing Ben Klock and Ripperton.
Popof follows Kaden offering the same vibe of house merged with classic techno elements, but deeper. A lovely DJ Phono track ‘Gone’ up first, creating the summer mood. Alex Kid, Nikola Gala, Jay Shepheard and DJ Sneak all follow and maintain the summer vibe. Energy levels rise as Simon Garcia, Philip Bader and finally label regular Roman Flugel round up disc 2.
Both mixes showcase every facet of the world famous Cocoon sound and although the label has now been defining trends for 15 years, it’s still right at the sharp end of electronic music across the world, as well as in the hotbed that is Ibiza.
1. Pablo Bolivar – Heat
2. Luciano – Dance Unity
3. Felipe Valenzuela & Jkco Mosqueira – Different Bass
4. El Prevost feat. D.Ham – Allez Ally (Shonky Remix)
5. The Analog Roland Orchestra – Pattern Four
6. Markus Fix – What I Talking About
7. Luly.B – Astronomic (Franco Cinelli Remix)
8. Detroit Swindle – The Fat Rat
9. L.B. Dub Corp – Turner’s House
10. Sven Väth – L’Esperanza (Derrick Carter Remix)
11. André Michelle – A2
12. Rachel Row – L-Square (Kink Remix)
13. The Chain – Geo
14. John Tejada – Now We’re Here
15. wAFF – Freeks
16. Carl Cox – Time for House
17. Uner – Undisclosed
18. Ben Klock – OK feat. Elif Biçer (Kenny Larkin Remix)
19. Honesty & Daniel Paul – Atrium (Konstantin Sibold Remix)
20. Ripperton – Let’s Hope
21. Daniel Stefanik – Keep On (Mathias Kaden’s Brothers in Crime Remix)
22. Praezisa Rapid 3000 – Robot Monologues Pt.1 (Birds Two Cage Rework)
1. DJ Phono – Gone (David August Vocal Mix)
2. Rafael Murillo – Background feat. Jaw (Alexkid Remix)
3. Tiefschwarz – No Message feat. Argenis Brito (Re-UP Remix)
4. Camea – City Watch Over Me
5. Nikola Gala – The Process (Acid Off Mix)
6. Tom Demac – Crewcuts And Curls (Jamie Jones’ Water Cooler Remix)
7. Jay Shepheard – Right Reason
8. DJ Sneak – Residente De Calle (Tripmastaz Hypno Edit)
9. Popof – Work It Out (Exclusive Track)
10. Marcus Meinhardt – Lucky Punch (Bart Skills & Anton Pieete Remix)
11. Sid Le Rock – Temptress (Alex Jones Remix)
12. Dario D’Attis – The Good Old Days
13. Johnny D – Point Of Now Return
14. Joeski – All By Myself (Nathan Barato Remix)
15. Andre Butano & Miguel Lobo – Straight Ahead
16. Canson – About You
17. Simon Garcia – Bass II Bass
18. Hirtenfellner & Philip Bader – Monday
19. Benjamin Fehr – Stay at Home, Read a Book (Roman Flügel Remix II)