Whilst the recent footage of Tom Cruise’s accident on the set of Mission Impossible: Fallout may have left a few feeling queasy, he’s by no means the first actor to put himself on the line for his art. No one pushes the boundaries quite like Jackie Chan, who continues to risk life and limb (albeit, a bit more sensibly these days) to execute the best actions sequences. After building up a formidable reputation in Asia for his martial-arts endeavours and becoming Hong Kong’s biggest star, Chan wanted to crack America with Police Story. It went on to break local box office records and spawn a popular franchise. Eureka Classics bring the first two in the series to Blu-ray with new restorations.
We’re introduced to Chan Ka Kui (Chan) in Police Story, who is an inspector in the Hong Kong Police Force and is going out with May (Maggie Cheung). Superintendent Raymond Li (Kwok-Hung Lam) and Inspector Bill Wong (Bill Tung) decide to launch an undercover operation to arrest crime lord Chu Tao (Chor Yuen). As part of the squad, Ka Kui ends up pursuing and arresting the kingpin after the sting goes wrong. He’s subsequently tasked with protecting the mobster’s secretary (Brigitte Lin) who the police hope will testify against him. In the second instalment, Ka Kui is once against pitted against Chu Tao who tries to exact revenge on him through his relationship with May.
Both films are essentially one large movie. The action scenes are fast and frenetic and there’s a palpable sense of jeopardy throughout. This has a lot to do with Jackie Chan’s willingness to do some of the most ridiculously dangerous stunts you’re likely to see (outside of Thailand, anyway). It’s his commitment to innovation and trying to do the impossible which really energises the film. As does the plot, which is compelling enough to keep up the high pace. Police Story 1 & 2 are classic Hong Kong actions films which mix chases, comedy with martial arts. There are also English dubs on each fil, if you fancy an old-school VHS feel.
Limited Edition Special Features:
• Special Limited Edition (3000 Copies) Box Set
• 1080p presentations of both films, sourced from immaculate 4K restorations including Police Story 2 in its full 2 hour version for the first time ever in the UK
• Original Cantonese mono audio track for Police Story
• Restored Cantonese 5.1 audio presentations for both films
• Optional English audio tracks
• Optional Mandarin audio tracks
• Optional English subtitles
• The Police Force version of the first film, originally re-edited for the US video market and featuring its own electronic score by Kevin Bassinson
• Police Story – Deleted and extended scenes, including alternate opening and ending sequences
• Police Story 2 – Outtakes
• Jackie Chan (40 mins) – A documentary on Jackie Chan’s early career from cult film documentary series, Son of the Incredibly Strange Film Show
• Archival Interview with Jackie Chan (20 mins)
• Interview with Benny Lai (15 mins)
• Jackie Chan stunts promotional trailer
• Box set exclusive – Collectors booklets for each film, featuring new essays and archival content
Jackie Chan’s Police Story and Police Story 2 is released on Blu-ray by Eureka Classics on 20 August.