The Velvet Underground are of course every indie music fan’s favourite band – the band that launched a thousand musical careers. A new tribute album from Verve Records, ‘I’ll Be Your Mirror: A Tribute to the Velvet Underground & Nico’ with tracks from Iggy Pop & Matt Sweeney, St. Vincent & Thomas Bartlett, Sharon Van Etten (with additional vocals by Angel Olsen) and more, is set for release on September 24.
The record’s debut track, a version of “Run Run Run” by Kurt Vile & The Violators, is out today; you can listen to ‘Run Run Run’ and pre-order the album here: https://verve.lnk.to/IllBeYourMirrorBI.
Vile’s version is transfixing, capturing the mesmerising drone of the original. He says of his version;
I literally covered Run Run Run when I was a kid. In my late teens with my band at the time. So it was pretty cosmic, let’s say. There is a direct connection to certain indie bands and beyond w/ the The Velvet Underground. That’s why The Velvet Underground are a classic. You know it can have doo-wop in there and things like that, but it can also have this jagged noisy thing, and it immediately let me feel like I could do anything. The possibilities are endless. You’re completely free. Unapologetic and effortless.
I’ll Be Your Mirror: A Tribute to the Velvet Underground & Nico Tracklist
1. Sunday Morning – Michael Stipe (3:50)
2. I’m Waiting For The Man – Matt Berninger (3:44)
3. Femme Fatale – Sharon Van Etten (w/ Angel Olsen on backing vocals) (4:43)
4. Venus In Furs – Andrew Bird & Lucius (6:55)
5. Run Run Run – Kurt Vile & The Violators (6:59)
6. All Tomorrow’s Parties – St. Vincent & Thomas Bartlett (4:52)
7. Heroin– Thurston Moore feat. Bobby Gillespie (7:24)
8. There She Goes Again – King Princess (3:29)
9. I’ll Be Your Mirror – Courtney Barnett (2:27)
10. The Black Angel’s Death Song – Fontaines D.C. (3:12)
11. European Son – Iggy Pop & Matt Sweeney (7:45)