One of my favourite horror films of all time is Dario Argento’s Suspiria. It’s fair to say that nothing else he’s done quite lived up to it, but with Opera and The Bird with the Crystal Plumage he came prety close. Deep Red was originally referred to as Suspiria 2, and whilst that’s in many ways lazy marketing, there’s certainly a large resemblance in style between the two. The new Arrow Blu-ray release brings together the the Director’s Cut and the International Theatrical version, both in new 4K restorations.
During a lecture a psychic medium (Helga Ulmann – Macha Méril) senses that there’s a violent and dangerous member of the audience. She is later murdered in at home, her screams being heard by a neighbour, Marcus Daly (David Hemmings). The pianist and music teacher begins to investigate the murder along with Ulmann’s colleague Prof. Giordani (Glauco Mauri), intrigued by the mysterious tune which was heard directly before the killing. As he gets closer to unmasking the murderer Marcus finds himself increasingly in danger.
Deep Red is one of Argento’s best. It’s packed full of his visual trademarks and has a great ’70s soundtrack. The International Theatrical release is just over 20 minutes shorter and is almost solely in English, losing some of the continuity, background and more graphic scenes. The restoration looks stunning and breathes a whole new life into the director’s use of imaginary and colour. Deep Red is a mysterious horror painted beautifully in bright hues.
3-disc limited edition contents
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of two versions of the film
- Original Italian Mono audio
- English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
- Limited Edition soundtrack CD
- 6 x postcard-sized lobby card reproductions
- Double-sided fold-out poster featuring two original artworks
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx
- Limited Edition booklet featuring new writing on the film by Mikel J. Koven, author of La Dolce Morte: Vernacular Cinema and the Italian Giallo Film and an archive piece by critic Alan Jones, illustrated with original archive stills and posters
Deep Red: The Director’s Cut (Blu-ray Disc 1)
- Brand new 4k restoration from the original negative [127 mins]
- Audio Commentary with Argento expert Thomas Rostock
- Introduction to the film by Claudio Simonetti of Goblin
- Profondo Giallo – a brand new visual essay from Michael Mackenzie offering an in-depth look at Dario Argento’s early films and the road to Deep Red
- Rosso Recollections: Dario Argento’s Deep Genius – the Deep Red director on the creation of a giallo masterpiece
- Lady in Red – Daria Nicolodi Remembers Profondo Rosso
- Music to Murder For! – Claudio Simonetti on Deep Red
- Rosso From Celluloid to Shop – a tour of the Profondo Rosso shop in Rome with long time Argento collaborator Luigi Cozzi
- Italian Trailer
Deep Red: The International Theatrical Cut (Blu-Ray Disc 2) [LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE]
- Brand new 4k restoration of the International Version [105 mins]
- US Theatrical Trailer
Profondo Rosso: The Complegte Original Soundtrack Recording (CD Disc 3) [LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE]
- 28-track CD featuring the entire Deep Red film score from Italian progressive rock band Goblin and composer Giorgio Gaslini
Deep Red is released on Blu-ray by Arrow on Monday.