Giallo is probably the most visually arresting and culturally interesting horror sub genre. The mixture of slasher film with elements of mystery, crime and the supernatural is an intoxicating combination which remains popular to this day. Whilst the names Dario Argento and Mario Bava are synonymous with the genre there were many other lesser known directors whose work is under-appreciated today. Massimo Dallamano is one of those film makers and What Have You Done to Solange? Is arguably his best films.
Italian teacher Enrico Rosseni (Fabio Testi) is very popular with his female students and when one of them is brutally murdered the blame naturally falls on him. Suspicion grows when the police learn that he’s having an affair with another student, Elizabeth (Cristina Galbó). Inspector Barth (Joachim Fuchsberger) is the detective tasked with investigating the murder, but as the body count begins to rise it becomes obvious to him that someone has a vendetta against the girls.
What Have You Done To Solange? is a mystery crime drama with rather disturbing undertones and forms part of a loose trilogy of films which focuses on young female sexuality. However, it’s in no way exploitation, although it does dabble in other popular areas for the Italian: poliziotteschi and erotic drama. Whilst he’s probably best known for his cinematography work on A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More, What Have You Done to Solange? is easily his best film as a director and is an impressive addition to the giallo genre.
Special Edition Contents:
- Brand new 2K restoration of the film from the original camera negative
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
- Original Italian and English soundtracks in mono audio
- Newly translated English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
- Brand new audio commentary with critics Alan Jones and Kim Newman
- What Have You Done to Decency? A conversation with Karin Baal – the actress shares her thoughts on Dallamano’s classic giallo in this brand new interview
- First Action Hero – a newly-edited 2006 interview with actor and former stuntman Fabio Testi, including a look at his role in Solange
- Old-School Producer – a newly-edited 2006 interview with producer Fulvio Lucisano
- Innocence Lost: Solange and the “Schoolgirls in Peril” Trilogy – a brand new visual essay by Michael Mackenzie, exploring the themes of Solange and its two semi-sequels
- Original theatrical trailer
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Malleus
- Collector’s booklet featuring a new article on the giallo scores of Ennio Morricone by Howard Hughes, alongside a Camille Keaton career retrospective from Art Ettinger, comprising interview excerpts with the Solange actress, all illustrated with original archive stills and posters
What Have You Done To Solange? is released Dual Format by Arrow Films today.