In a career which spanned over sixty years, Charlton Heston became an American icon and one of the most familiar cinematic faces. He has starred in over seventy films with the likes of Ben-Hur, El-Cid, Planet of the Apes, Touch of Evil, The Omega Man and The Ten Commandments ensuring he became a household name. His Hollywood debut was in William Dieterle’s Dark City.
Danny (Heston) is a small-time hood who is down on his luck after yet another police raid. After bumping into Arthur Winalt in a bar(Don DeFore) he smells an easy mark. Along with fellow card-sharks Barney (Ed Begley) Augie (Jack Webb) and Swede (Walter Sande), they take the sucker for $5000. When he subsequently commits suicide, Danny has to contend with the police breathing down his neck and a brother hell-bent on revenge.
Dark City is a febrile crime drama which sees Charlton Heston give the kind of assured and powerful performance we became accustomed to. Dieterle turns the screw as the world begins to close in on Danny. Whilst desperately trying to be a better person it seems that he will never be able escape from his past. Dark City is a slight film noir but one which has all the right elements to be an entertaining ride.
- High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray™ presentation
- Original uncompressed mono audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio commentary by writer, historian and film programmer Alan K. Rode
- Newly filmed appreciation by critic Philip Kemp
- Theatrical trailer
- Image gallery
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tonci Zonjic
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Booklet featuring new writing on the film by Barry Forshaw
Dark City is released on Blu-ray by Arrow Academy on 2 September.