Tsui Hark has played a pivotal role in Hong Kong filmmaking since the 1980s as a producer, director and writer. He’s been heavily involved in some of the most iconic and impressive films to come out of the ‘Fragrant Harbour’. The likes of Once Upon a Time in China, A Chinese Ghost Story, A Better Tomorrow and Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain have captured imagination in the East and across the globe. Time and Tide, which he made in 2000, has all the hallmarks of his best work.
After accidentally impregnating a lesbian cop (Cathy Tsui) who wants nothing to do with him, Tyler (Nicholas Tse) joins Uncle Ji’s (Anthony Wong) unlicenced bodyguard agency in order to make some quick money. He finds himself tangled up with Jack (Wu Bai) and his pregnant wife Ah Hui (Candy Lo), who is the daughter of one of their rich clients. This connection places him in the middle of a conflict with a group of South American mercenaries.
Time and Tide is a slick and stylish Hong Kong action film which benefits from a strong cast and Hark’s eye for a thrilling set-piece. Indeed, whilst it can get a little confusing, at times, the action comes thick and fast and an excellent cast ensure that it’s enthralling throughout. Indeed, there’s hardly time to catch your breath when the bullets start flying. Time and Tide is enthralling filmmaking from a master of the genre.
- Limited Edition O-Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Darren Wheeling [2000 copies]
- 1080p presentation on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK
- Cantonese, Mandarin and English audio options, all presented in 5.1 DTS-HD MA
- Optional English Subtitles
- Optional English SDH
- Brand new feature length audio commentary by Asian film expert Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival)
- Feature length audio commentary by writer, producer, and director Tsui Hark
- Original trailer
- Limited Edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Chinese-language film expert and author Stephen Teo [2000 copies]
Time and Tide is released on Blu-ray by Eureka Classics on 24 May.