BC Camplight, aka Brian Christinzio, has announced his return with a new album “Shortly After Takeoff” on 24th April via Bella Union. It will be his first since 2018’s “Deportation Blues”.
“This is an examination of madness and loss. I hope it starts a long overdue conversation” says Christinzio and adds, “It’s important to stress that this isn’t a redemption story. I’m a guy who maybe lives a little hard and I’m in the thick of some heavy stuff. But as a result, I think I’ve made my best record.”
This week he releases the brilliant opening track from the new album “I Only Drink When I’m Drunk” and its lyric video. Of the track Brian Christinzio says: “People that are struggling in life, be it from a stress, loss, or mental illness, are more likely to behave in self-destructive ways. The idea of only drinking when you’re drunk is the notion that sometimes we hurt ourselves because we are hurting. The verses reflect the feelings some of us have when we are plodding through our everyday lives. The choruses are what happens when these feelings get the best of us.”
The track starts with some slide guitar that could have come straight out of Paris, Texas. Like most of BC Camplight’s music, it is not a straightforward listen with lots of styles and sounds moving in and out of the mix. He describes “I Only Drink When I’m Drunk” as “Hank Williams on cough medicine being awoken by ferocious guitars”.
BC Camplight has also announced an extensive run of new UK live dates to follow the release of the album, including a number of headline shows in May, festival appearances at the likes of Liverpool Sound City and Bluedot, and three in store appearances the week of release.
Our full album review of “Shortly After Takeoff” will be available here soon along with an in-depth interview with BC Camplight.
You can pre-order “Shortly After Takeoff” via Bella Union now.
BC CAMPLIGHT TOUR DATES:
- 4/24/2020 – London, UK – Rough Trade East (instore)
- 4/25/2020 – Reading, UK – Are You Listening? Festival
- 4/26/2020 – Bristol, UK – Rough Trade Bristol (instore)
- 4/29/2020 – Brighton, UK – Resident (instore)
- 5/1/2020 – Kendal, UK – Brewery Arts Centre
- 5/3/2020 – Liverpool, UK – Sound City
- 5/4/2020 – Milton Keynes, UK – MK11
- 5/6/2020 – Exeter, UK – Phoenix
- 5/7/2020 – Portsmouth, UK – Wedgewood Rooms
- 5/8/2020 – Leicester, UK – O2 Academy
- 25/9/2020 – Edinburgh, UK – The Great Eastern
- 5/10/2020 – Aberdeen, UK – The Lemon Tree5/
- 13/2020 – Hull, UK – The Welly
- 25/14/2020 – Cardiff, UK – The Globe
- 5/20/2020 – Leeds, UK – Brudenell Social Club
- 5/21/2020 – Stoke On Trent, UK – The Sugarmill
- 5/22/2020 – Carlisle, UK – The Brickyard
- 7/24/2020- Hertfordshire, UK – Standon Calling Festival
- 7/26/2020 – Jodrell Bank, UK – Bluedot Festival
- 11/17/2020 – Bristol – Trinity Centre
- 11/18/2020– Birmingham – The Glee Club
- 11/19/2020 – Newcastle – Newcastle University Student’s Union
- 11/23/2020 – Glasgow – St. Luke’s
- 11/24/2020 – Nottingham – Rescue Rooms
- 11/26/2020 – London – O2 Shepherd’s Bush Empire
- 11/27/2020– Manchester – O2 Ritz